Facebook is the most popular social network in the world. Facebook is primarily used to keep in touch with friends, but can also be used to plan events, organize and communicate with groups, and follow businesses.
- Find your friends by typing their names in the search bar
- Use groups to keep in touch with groups of people
- Use Facebook events to invite friends to anything from get-togethers to formal events
- Add images to your posts when you can. Facebook image size is 1200 x 900, so use a wider image if possible
- Keep your posts to 2 sentences or less
- “Like” posts that you agree with and want more people to see
- Share posts that you want your followers to see in their newsfeed and on your wall
- Like pages of companies and organizations if you want to see their posts and events in your newsfeed
- Post 2x per day or less
Twitter is a social network geared at sharing news, curating content, and following businesses, friends, and organizations.
- Follow people, organizations and companies you are interested in
- Use Twitter Lists to organize your interests
- Use images in your posts when you can. Twitter image size is 440 x 220 pixels, so use a wider image if possible
- Posts are 140 characters long
- Add a link after your text if you have one
- Add hashtags after your link or text. Anyone who searches for that hashtag will be able to find your post
- Re-tweet tweets that are interesting to you and you want to share with your followers
- “Like” tweets by clicking the heart button
- Use Twitter polls to gauge people’s opinions on an issue
- Tweet anywhere from 1x/week to 20x/day
Linkedin is a social media platform used for professional networking, keeping in touch with colleagues and searching for jobs.
- Connect with professional colleagues you have worked with or gone to school with
- Follow companies that you are interested in
- Search for jobs, save them and apply for them within linkedin
- Find out who can introduce you to to an employer by looking for connections
- Share interesting articles, tips and tricks. Keep your post to 2 sentences or less
- Add images of any size to your posts
- Publish writing pieces by clicking ‘Publish a Post’
- Post between 3x/day - 1x/week
Pinterest is the social platform for curating visual inspiration, interests and ideas.
- Create boards to organize your interests
- Add images as pins from the internet or upload your own images of any size and add them to the boards that they fit in
- Add a 1-2 word description to your pins to explain them
- Add links to your pins to take other users to websites where they can learn more about your pins
- Re-pin images that you like to your own boards
- Pin as much as you want, but try to spread out your pins if possible
Google+ is a social networking platform that allows you to share links, photos and videos with your connections and circles.
- Add contacts and companies to your circles based off your interests and the people you email with
- Create posts that are 1-2 sentences long
- Create circles of groups of people that fit into different categories of interest and create posts that they can see
- Use images in your posts when possible
- Use hashtags in your post in order for it to show up when someone searches for that hashtag
- Post between 1x/day - 1x/week
Instagram allows you to create artistic photos by using filters and share them to create a photo story of your life and experiences.
- Instagram makes your photos square by default, but you can keep the dimensions of the original photos by clicking on the arrow button in the bottom left corner when you choose which image you want to post
- Click on the wrench icon in the bottom right corner above the filters for even more editing options for your photo
- When choosing a filter, click on the photo to see the original version
- Add a 1-2 sentence description
- Add hashtags to your photo so that when people search for your hashtag, they will see your photo
Snapchat allows users to take and send photos or videos to their friends that they can see for 1-10 seconds before they disappear.
- Add your friends by connecting to Facebook or your contacts list in your phone
- Send photos or videos to your story if you want everyone you are friends with to view
- You can save stories later by clicking on the downward arrow on the right hand side of your story
- Click on the ghost icon at the top to add friends
- Click on the square button that will show the number of snapchats you have in the bottom lefthand corner to see snapchats others have sent to you
- Click on the plus sign button in the bottom righthand corner in order to view yours and other friends’ stories